FAQ: Abra Havn (The pirate hotel)
• How do we get to Abra Havn?
Abra Havn is located next to the Gras Sea, right by the Zoo, 14 km east of downtown Kristiansand. Take exit 87 off Highway 18, and follow the signs for Dyreparken/Høvåg Øst and IKEA to get to Abra Havn.
• How does parking work?
Parking is free of charge for guests in Abra Havn, in the assigned parking spots, up until check-out. During the summer school break, you will need a parking slip, which will be handed out at check-in. The parking slip will let you park for free outside the Zoo on the day of your departure from Abra Havn.
• Are bedding and towels included in the stay?
Yes, bedding and towels are included for everyone who are staying in the pirate shack. We make the bottom bunk bed, and put out the rest for the top bunks and the pull out sofa.
• Are tickets to the Zoo included in the stay?
Tickets to the Zoo or the Water Park are only included in the stay if you buy one of our package deals.
During shoulder seasons (Easter vacation, weekends, long weekends, etc.), packet deals will also be available that include hotel stay and combo tickets, and possible tickets to shows. Look for the tab “Pakker og årskort” for further information.
• "We know someone who is staying in Abra Havn at the same time as us – is it possible to live next to each other"?
If you want to guarantee being neighbours during your stay, or choose where you want to stay (restricted to the type of shack you’ve ordered), contact us at +47 97 05 97 00 (press 2, then 1). There is NOK 295 fee per shack that you wish to reserve.
• Can we bring a pet to Abra Havn?
Unfortunately, pets or animals of any kind are not allowed inside the shacks or Abra Havn in general.
• What is happening in the Zoo when we are staying in Abra Havn?
The Zoo operates with different seasons during the year. To view the programme for when you are visiting, click here.
• Can we rent a baby crib?
We have baby cribs with all the bedding for rental, with pricing varying from season to season. You can book a crib when you make your reservation.
If you have already made a reservation and wish to book a crib, just go to the booking, and add your reference number under “Tilleggsbestilling”.
• When is check-in and check-out?
Check-in is from 3pm on arrival day.
Check-out is no later than 11 am on departure day. If you are going to the Zoo (summer), then remember to bring your parking slip to have free parking in P1, P2 and P3. These slips are available in the reception at check-in.
• Do we have to clean the apartment at departure?
Cleaning is included in the price, but before you leave, please do the following:
* Put on the dishwasher
* Dispose of trash in the trashcans that are outside the shacks.
• Is the reception manned at all hours of the day?
There is always someone in the reception, so you can come by at all hours during your stay.
• Is it possible to buy groceries in Abra Havn?
If you wish to make your own food, we have some groceries available in the pirate pub Den Sorte Mann: Freshly made bread and rolls, a variety of spreads, as well as products that can be made using the kitchen appliances in the shacks. We also have baby food, which is free for our guests.
• Where is the closest grocery store?
In addition to our selection of groceries, eateries in Abra Havn, Dyreparken Hotel, the Zoo and Water Park, there are many restaurants and grocery stores at Sørlandssenteret and in Sørlandsparken, only a short drive from Abra Havn (1.5 km, 15 minute walk). There are also other shopping opportunities here.
• What kind of kitchen supplies is avilable in the pirate shacks?
There are microwave oven, two cooking tops with grilling function, a refrigerator, kettle, coffee press, pots, cups and utensils.
• Is it possible to get to Abra Havn using public transportation?
Train: Get off at Kristiansand Station. Right outside, you will find taxi and busses. Go to www.nsb.no for more information.
Bus from downtown Kristiansand: Use route 100, M1 or 01. For bus schedules, go to www.akt.no.
Bus from Oslo and Stavanger: From Oslo the bus stops by the Zoo. From Stavanger the bus stops at Scandic Hotel Sørlandet (located on the other side of the highway across from the Zoo). For bus schedules, go to www.akt.no.
Bus from Arendal: Bus 100 stops by the Zoo on the its way to Kristiansand, and by Scandic Hotel Sørlandet on its way to Arendal. For bus schedules, go to www.akt.no.
Plane: Kristiansand Airport Kjevik is located 11 km from Abra Havn.
• Cancellations and conditions
You can read about the conditions for booking a hotel stay in Abra Havn here.
For cancellations made more than 30 days prior to the arrival date, there is a NOK 250 fee per shack/apartment.
For cancellations made between 30 and 15 days prior to the arrival date, 50% of the amount you have paid will be refunded.
For cancellations made less than 15 days prior to the arrival date, there will be no refund.
Packet and campaigns
For packets and campaigns, the conditions below follow:
1. A) Packets and campaigns including overnight stay and dated show tickets, cannot be cancelled or be refunded. The only exception is if the cancellation is made by the organiser. Show tickets cannot be changed. The hotel stay may be changed up to 30 days prior to the arrival date, for a NOK 250 fee.
2. B) Packets and campaigns including overnight stay and entrance tickets to the Zoo/Water Park, cannot be cancelled or be refunded. The hotel stay may be changed up to 30 days prior to the arrival date, for a NOK 250 fee. Any additional cost will be added. Packets are sold at a limited amount, in a limited time and shack categories, and any changes presupposes availability.
Telephone: +47 97 05 97 00 (press 2, then 1).
Address: Kristiansand Dyrepark, 4609 Kardemomme by